Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A birthday card for my Grandson - Desmond


Hi Blog Friends!

Trying to decide what kind of card to make for my grandson this year was easy.  I didn't make the usual Asian card this year....I went in a different direction.  I sometimes make him cards that are Japanese related since he's in his 5th year of taking Japanese at school.  He's an amazing young man.  He reads, writes and speaks Japanese fluently.  When mom was at one of the assisted living facilities, there was a little Japanese resident at the home, and she used to get so excited when Desmond would visit his grandma because he'd always make time to talk to Kimmy,  (the Japanese resident, 96 years young!).  The caregivers were shocked that Desmond spoke Japanese.  They'd ask him to translate whenever he was there.  I wish you could have seen the smile on Kimmy's face when Desmond would walk in.  So sweet.  Des got to visit Japan last summer with his school class.  He spent two weeks there and lived with a host family for a week.  An experience of a lifetime!   Anyway, today's card is done in a gray embossed card stock and blue accent card stock.  I embossed the "D" with detail silver embossing powder on black card stock. I added six black brads to the blue trim.  The gray background is embossed with a Tim Holtz clock embossing folder.  I cut the "D" with a circle Spellbinders die, and used dimensional tape to raise it up a bit.  Click on the photo to make it bigger.


                                                  Happy Birthday Desmond! xo



Desmond loved his card!  Thanks so much for visiting today.  I'll be back later with another card.  Until next time.....

Supplies:
"D" Stamp by Stampers Anonymous
Tim Holtz clocks embossing folder
Spellbinders circle die
Black brads
Silver detail embossing powder
Grey and blue card stock
Dimensional pop-up tape


5 comments:

  1. Fantastic design Geri! The embossing looks so crisp. How cool that he can speak Japanese. I have trouble with English at times. LOL Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tracy. He really liked his card so I was happy. I wanted o make him more of a grown-up card this year, and glad I did. He's such a neat kid. Thanks for visiting! Hugs, Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one sharp looking card for Desmond! How old is he? My sister in law is from Japan, and my brother taught English in Japan for years. My brother met her in college where she was living with a prof family in North Dakota! My nieces used to speak more Japanese when they were little, but once they started grammar school it really stopped. They are in grammar school and have been to Japan to visit their grandparents a few times. My other brother and one sister went there when my brother was teaching to visit. I didn't as the idea of that long plane ride was too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Winnie. Desmond turned 16. I couldn't say sweet sixteen because he's a boy, but he is a Sweetie! Oh my, your brother is married to a girl from Japan. Des fell in love with Japan. He's been intrigued with Japanese since he was five years old. Speaking of North Dakota, my hubby is from ND. ;o) Thanks for visiting today. Hugs, Geri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sharp card. Lyd

    ReplyDelete

Hello again! A "long" get well card

HELLO BLOG FRIENDS! It's been a very long time since I've blogged.  You know how life gets in the way of things, and we have cer...